The Boch family, known for their great influence on the ceramic industry, founded the “Faiencerie de Longwy” in 1798 in a former convent.
The production received great recognition during the First Empire: after Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte had attended the workshops, he ordered the complete tableware for the Imperial Legion of Honor. In 1835, the Faiencerie passed into the possession of the d’Huart family and became a thriving business. In the period around 1870, the heyday of the Second Empire, Orientalism came into fashion. This trend of oriental art and culture will have a big impact on the Faiencerie: the family d’Huart hires on the Italian Amédée de Carenza, director of the ceramic works Mikado. Inspired by the enamel metal works discovered in Japan, de Carenza develops an alternative in ceramics: and the first Emaux de Longwy were born.
During this time, the Faiencerie retains the manufacture of tableware, and designed a number of specific designs such as flowers and bird motifs that often occur in the period between 1870 and 1918. In the 1920s, Art Deco then enters this bastion of Orientalism.
The association with “Primavera” marks a fruitful period which culminated in the Decorative Arts Exhibition of 1925 in Paris. This complete renewal of forms and decorations created Longwy’s reputation in the United States and Europe during the period before the war.
Longwy is the exclusive distributor of semi-industrially manufactured pottery enamel to this day. The historic stamp guarantees the authenticity of the pieces. The last decades were marked by the collaboration of contemporary artists and designers. This brought forth an amazing collection combining tradition, luxury and the beaux arts. The limited editions are sought after and coveted collectors’ items.